Lucky Stars for This Month
Recipient: Second Harvest Food Bank
Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida is a private, nonprofit organization that collects, stores and distributes donated food to more than 550 feeding partners in six Central Florida counties: Brevard, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia. Last year, with the help of numerous donors, volunteers and a caring, committed community, the food bank distributed nearly 58 million meals to partner programs such as food pantries, soup kitchens, women’s shelters, senior centers, day care centers and Kids Cafes.
In addition to helping feed the line of our neighbors who need help, Second Harvest also transforms dozens of lives directly every year. Economically-challenged adults who graduate from our 16-week culinary training program are placed in ‘better than minimum wage’ jobs that set them and their families on a path to self-sustainability. Yet another important activity helps connect people who are eligible to receive SNAP food assistance benefits with the resources they need to access the program and get help.
Critical need items:
- Fruits: Canned fruit (in its own juice, no sugar added varieties), dried fruit, 100% fruit juice
- Vegetables: Canned vegetables (reduced salt/no salt varieties), 100% vegetable juice, spaghetti sauce
- Grains: Rice, pasta, crackers (whole-grain varieties), ready-to-eat cereal (low sugar/high-fiber), oatmeal
- Protein Foods: Canned meat/poultry, canned tuna/salmon (packed in water), canned/dry beans & peas (low/no salt varieties), peanut butter
- Dairy/Dairy Alternatives: Nonfat dry milk, evaporated milk, soymilk
- Meals: Beef stew, canned soup (reduced sodium varieties), chili, other canned meals
- Other: Nutritional drinks (ex: Ensure, Boost)
- Baby Food: Must be in complete, undamaged original packaging. No individual serving glass or plastic containers unless in an unopened case.
- Non-food Items: Diapers, toiletries (soap, shampoo, shaving cream, etc.). Must be unopened and stored separate from food donations.